Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A ROOM OF MY OWN

     We’re only half way through March and already I’ve checked off two of my New Year’s Resolutions.  If this keeps up I may accomplish all of them by the end of December.  
     The first two Resolutions were to sell my house and find a place that I could fix up the way I wanted it.   A room of my own!  For the first time in my life I know what I want…and have it, I will.  
     I sold my house!  Cross that one off my list.  Lord willing, we will close the middle of February.  A nice young couple is buying my house and they will fit into the neighborhood very nicely.  
     I want to fit in too, so I had to start looking for somewhere to move.  Now if I was to rent an apartment, the landlord may not look kindly on my changing everything to suit my needs.  So finding an apartment, with a garage to house my pride and joy, was not as easy as I though it would be.  I have never rented before, we have always owned our home, so I didn’t realize how difficult it was to find just what I wanted and the freedom to put in new carpet, a stove I love to cook on, and to paint the walls my colors.
     I was about to give up and buy a doublewide mobile home that I had my eye on, when I found they had sold it.  So, since I believe my life is planned for me, the mobile home sale was a sign I wasn’t suppose to have it.  
     That’s when my daughter suggested that I live in her rental across the street from her.  I have always worried about being too close to my family, after being a caregiver for so long I wanted my privacy.  I also didn’t want to rely on my children to look after me.  But, my daughter said it would be fine and her renter was about to leave.  The topper was that she would let me do anything I wanted to the place…make it my own, so to speak and the rent was perfect.  Now the only thing I had to worry about was a garage for my car.  But that shouldn’t be a problem; I’ll just have one built.  It’s as simple as that.  Cross off the second resolution.
     After spending time helping my other daughter in Greenwich, CT.  move to a new house, I decided that I wouldn’t lift a finger when I moved.  So I called the movers for an estimate on moving me to Boardman.  It wasn’t too bad…so they can do everything for me.  How does that sound?  As for me, I’ll sit and drink coffee and tell them where everything goes.  Works for me!  
     It is so fantastic to think that I am really starting over.  Out with the old and in with the new.  It isn’t very often you can do something like that for yourself.  
     Have you ever wanted to just throw everything out and buy all new things for your new home?  I have!  And, that’s exactly what I am going to do.  I sold my bedroom set, all the tables, lamps, dressers, chairs and everything else I didn’t want and I’m going to start from scratch.  The furniture stores will love my decision.
     Sort of apropos, I will celebrate my 50th wedding anniversary this March, with a new life, in a new home, where I can write to my hearts content.  I’m truly blessed!
     A room of my own!  What more could I ask?
     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment