Tuesday, April 19, 2011

LESSONS IN LIFE

    When I opened my e-mail on Monday, I was touched by an e-mail from a good friend and I want to share it with you, at least part of it.  It made me reflect on the nice things people have done for me over the years.  The author remains anonymous, but it bore the title, “Five lessons to make you think about the way we treat people,” and it touched my heart.  One of the stories follows and I know it will touch your heart as well.
     “One night at 11:30 p.m., an older African American woman was standing on the side of an Alabama highway trying to endure a lashing rainstorm.  Her car had broken down and she desperately needed a ride.  Soaking wet, she decided to flag down the next car.  A young white man stopped to help her, generally unheard of in those conflict-filled 60’s.  The man took her to safety, helped her get assistance and put her into a taxicab.
     She seemed to be in a big hurry, but wrote down his address and thanked him.  Seven days went by and a knock came on the man’s door.  To his surprise, a giant console color TV was delivered to his home.  A special note was attached.  
     It said, “Thank you so much for assisting me on the highway the other night.  The rain drenched not only my clothes, but also my spirits.  Then you came along.  Because of you, I was able to make it to my dying husband’s bedside just before he passed away.  God bless you for helping me and unselfishly serving others.”
Sincerely, 
Mrs. Nat King Cole.
     It brought tears to my eyes.  Nat King Cole was one of my favorite singers.  He rose to stardom on television, radio, nightclubs, and through his records.  It was a sad day indeed when he died.  I still listen to records of his velvet voice, which gave me many wonderful evenings of great music.  I miss him.
     The other story that grew a lump in my throat was about a little boy who was willing to give up his life, or so he thought, to save his sister.
     “Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at a hospital, I got to know a little girl named Liz who was suffering from a rare & serious disease.  Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood transfusion from her 5-year-old brother, who had miraculously survived the same disease and had developed the antibodies needed to combat the illness.  The doctor explained the situation to her little brother, and asked the little boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his sister.
     I saw him hesitate for only a moment before taking a deep breath and saying, “Yes I’ll do it if it will save her.”  As the transfusion progressed, he lay in bed next to his sister and smiled, as we all did, seeing the color returning to her cheeks.  Then his face grew pale and his smile faded.
     He looked up at the doctor and asked with a trembling voice, “Will I start to die right away?”
     Being young, the little boy had misunderstood the doctor; he thought he was going to have to give his sister all of his blood in order to save her.”
     Good deeds happen everyday, we just don’t hear about them often enough.
     Do something nice for a stranger today.  It will make you feel great!

No comments:

Post a Comment